A 45-year-old woman from Mwanzo Estate in Eldoret, Uasin Gishu County has died after her refrigerator exploded into flames in her house Wednesday night.
The woman and her two sons, both aged over 20, were asleep in separate bedrooms, when the incident happened.
Items which were in the kitchen were destroyed by the fire, which did not spread to other rooms.
It is suspected the woman died from toxic gases, which were emitted after the fridge caught fire. Attempts by neighbours to break into the woman’s bedroom to rescue her bore no fruits as she had already died by the time they were accessing her room.
According to the woman’s neighbour, she raised an alarm, when the incident happened but emergency response came in too late.
“We heard her screaming, saying: ‘Majirani nisaidieni. Tunakufa’. When we looked through our windows, we saw black smoke emanating from her house. We proceeded to her house, and we could see her directing spotlight rays at us. Since we couldn’t manage to break down her door, we knocked on other neighbours’ doors, but none opened them to us. By the time help was coming, she had already lost her life,” said the woman’s female neighbour.
The woman’s sons, a university graduate and a 2018 KCSE candidate, managed to flee their bedroom through the windows. One of the sons was rushed to Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital in Eldoret, where he is receiving treatment.
The woman’s body has been preserved at the hospital’s mortuary.
The reason for the refrigerator explosion is yet to be established.
Police say they have launched an investigation into the incident.
The post Eldoret woman dies after refrigerator explodes in house appeared first on eDaily Kenya.
Source: eDaily Entertainment